Wednesday, May 25, 2005

ILLfare

Let us take that next glorious step into the development of modern America and throw off the bondage of that class which has held us back and held us down for so long.
Let us slip the surly bonds of this welfare state and set in motion those processes and programs that lead us into the heavenly new democracy and make this republic strong.
Slide off the yoke of oppression that holds you and stock options down. We must push aside the weak and the weary and send the poor away so that we can hire more Mexicans at a lower rate.
We must no longer be asked to provide public schooling for our children – in fact let us kill two birds with one stone and turn the children over to the pastors and the ministers and shower them with tax money.
Then our life of ease and plenty and shopping at the mall can continue.
We can build a new monument to government and a new bureaucracy.
The Department of Illfare will rule over all and above the marbled hall’s entry we will carve the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, “Do not tell me of my obligation to all poor men in good situations. Are they my poor? I tell thee, thou foolish philanthropist, that I grudge the dollar, the dime, the cent that I give to such men as do not belong to me and to whom I do not belong.”
Then maybe the Americans will wake up.

No comments: